Mike Posner: Learning difficulties

Why have I had such a hard time learning to change a light bulb, fix a car and cook dinner, while for others it seems such a breeze? Generally I did pretty well in school but ran into deep problems with analytic geometry, inorganic chemistry and differential equations. Others do it, why not me? I am well aware that many will say just try harder, but I think it must be something other than that.

After more than 50 years of psychology I think I am just beginning to understand. We are learning about neural networks underlying skills and how they are shaped by genetic variation and early experience. New skills often reshape old networks: my problems in sequential movement in handwriting might make other multistep tasks difficult to learn. My learning handicaps are still a mystery but now I know where to look.

Mike Posner is Professor Emeritus at the University of Oregon and Adjunct Professor at the Weill Medical College in New York (Sackler Institute). He is a pioneer in the field of attention and in 2002 was listed among the most influential psychologists of the twentieth century by the Review of General Psychology.

--
Return to menu for One Nagging Thing.


Bookmark and Share

You have read this article One nagging thing with the title Mike Posner: Learning difficulties. You can bookmark this page URL http://psychiatryfun.blogspot.com/2009/10/mike-posner-learning-difficulties.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Mike Posner: Learning difficulties"

Post a Comment